Today I had a long awaited session with my therapist....or as some call her...my hairdresser. For the last three years I have been seeing Dianna. She did my nails prior to and through my courtship with Abete. The day before I got married I spent three hours in her salon for the full treatment. Then a couple days before Olaya was born I was with her and scheduled a pedicure for the coming Friday to help induce labor with her foot massage....never made it to that appointment. Olaya came on her own. So it is easy to say she has seen me through some big transitions.
Dianna and I belong to different religions. However, I can talk with her about my belief in God and as long as I stick to the Bible we are on the same page. With the new job, new marital status (official in two more weeks), Christmas and a plethora of other things, I scheduled an appointment with her for today to be with me through another transition. Since I had not seen her since September...before Abete lost his job in Pennsylvania for alcohol, before the disclosure of the girlfriend.....when making the appt I briefly mentioned we had a lot of things to discuss. With nothing more than that said, I walked into my appt today and first thing she got up from her station...she was with a client...walked over to me and gave me a big hug.
We visited, laughed, shared, sang some songs, cried, joked, discussed scripture, talked about healing, supported and overall caught up. She knows women come to see her to make "themselves beautiful" but she will also say it is more than that. Being in the salon is a safe zone. We can feel uplifted. Don't get me wrong...not once is there any man bashing. Mostly we discuss how God is my partner. He is the man I can count on, turn to and trust. Since I was there for four hours, we talked over many things in her life and in mine. When I left, the physical difference was curlier hair and nicer nails. The emotional difference can't be defined.
Near the end, as she was rinsing out my hair from a perm (yikes first one in 15 years) she leaned down and whispered....In case I forget to tell you before you leave.....You Will Be OK.
Yes, Yes. I will be OK.
Thanks Dianna.....I heart you!!! Can't wait to be back in regular sessions now that I am a working girl.
I love my hair stylist too. She's one of my VERY best friends :) I'm glad you have great people in your life to help you through this transition period. And I want you to know I read your blog regularly, but most of the time I am at a loss for words and think that no words may be better than the wrong words. Just know that I have been thinking about you and praying for you and your family. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and may 2011 be the best year yet!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you have an outlet that you enjoy. As I read your post, I laughed at how different we are. I absolutely HATE getting my hair cut. I would even rather go to the dentist than the salon. Weird, I know. But I do understand how great it is to go somewhere that is a definite comfort zone. I feel that way about the gym. Whatever else is going on with me, I can get on that treadmill, punch it up, punch it down and feel better for it. Best wishes. I am cheering for you!
ReplyDelete