Two weeks ago today, during church I noticed that Olaya was not quite herself. She woke from a nap grumpy. When I tried to console her, she just tossed, turned and cried. Only after tylenol and teething tablets did she settle down. Monday was my first day at work and for her to be with a babysitter. When over the next few days she seemed grumpy with the sitter, we attributed to teething and sensing things were different. This was the first time I had ever left Olaya for more than two hours.
With each passing day, Olaya became more and more upset. By the end of the week her mild fever was 103 fever, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargic and constant tears. By Sunday morning I could not comfort her at all. I made a call to the pediatrician who wanted to meet at the emergency department at 10:00 a.m.
While I have complete trust in the medical profession, I made a quick stop to the Bishop's office on our way to the hospital. I have even greater faith in my Heavenly Father and the power of the priesthood. With blessing sealed upon her head, we were off to meet the Dr.
Dr. Denton was gentle and kind. He assured me Olaya needed to be in the hospital. Her fluids were dangerously low and started an IV. While all the blood and urine test came back within normal ranges, he was concerned that her little body did not have the strength to kick whatever was attacking her. After many hours in the ER, we were admitted to pediatrics by 6:00 p.m.
During this time I was starting to feel the desperation of being alone. I have to admit facebook stepped in for me. Through my phone I posted that I was in the ER and a childhood friend, Sandra, at the hospital with her mother for hip surgery came down from the surgical floor to be with me. I don't know if she will know how welcome her small act of kindness was for me.
After my mom was able to get out of church she also came up to the hospital to be with us. Her efforts always amaze me. With as many kids as she has, she is always willing to serve and support.
Olaya did great. All of Sunday she just wanted to be in my arms. She would wake only long enough to be poked and prodded then drift off to sleep once again.
On Monday, Olaya started perking up a little. Even when playing, you could still see the sadness in her eyes.
I spent most of the time watching her sleep....
and sleep.
Getting the IV taken out was not a pleasant activity, but Olaya endured it well. Once out, we were able to get home.
Olaya was happy to be with her brothers and sister. Monday night after being released we spent the evening playing Just Dance 2 with my sister Sharen, her husband Memo and their son Jax. Olaya was happy to crawl around and be with people she loved.
Looking back over the week, I am grateful for the power of the priesthood. I am grateful to have worthy priesthood holders I can turn to for blessings. I continue to be amazed at my mother and her endless love and support. I am grateful for my dad and all the behind the scenes efforts he makes on my behalf and for my children. He went to the church to get Taron. He went to my home to pick up Keaton and Belle, got clothes for a sleepover and kept them so I wouldn't have to worry about them at home while I was in the hospital with Olaya. I am grateful for the countless prayers on our behalf from friends, loved ones and all my facebook friends. Funny how such a silly internet sight can bring so much support. I am grateful for my neighbor Christy Parkin and all her efforts with Olaya while we were in the hospital. She is a nurse and was working the night shift. Having a trusted friend, familiar face, eased the night stay. Her love didn't end when she got off work. She called to check on us Monday and then had dinner ready for us when I came home with Olaya that night.
I thank my Father in Heaven for his endless love. I continue to ask to be worthy of all my blessings. I truly feel blessed. I am ever so grateful to be a mother. Through all this I just kept asking for Father to take away Olaya's pain and if possible to give it to me. He did even better by making her whole. Today, one week later, there is no sign of illness in Olaya. She is happy, playful and already strong enough to take her first steps. I love all four of my beautiful children. Everyday with them is a gift. I must have done something right to deserve such love and joy in my life.








heartbreaking Tara. It is just heartbreaking to see a little one so sick and in the hospital. I am grateful that all is well. You were a smart woman to get a blessing first. Love you
ReplyDeleteOh Tara! I love, respect and admire you for your faith and strength more than you will ever know!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that she's on the way up!! Sending love and our prayers your way!!!!
ReplyDelete