What is it about watching four grown men stand in a huddle, discuss strategy for defeating the upcoming team on Saturday as if it was the playoffs in the NFL and watch them all get charged up all while 25 twelve year old boys count out stretches...Ready, Begin, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...that makes me so excited for football practice?
I forget this game isn't only for the players on the field. It is for those dads coaching on the side. Some reliving their game days. Some trying to create memories with their boy. It is for this mom watching intently for my son to catch a pass. It is for the little sister to wave pom poms and dress in her older brother's team colors with pride written across her face as she struts around the field, not really watching the game, with all the other littles. I love game day. But I also love practice day. Some people show up on game day, taking the glory from the players as their own. I don't. Between my two boys, Saturday represents the compilation of 16 hours of practice, four trips to the practice field and four trips back. It is countless, "run it again"s, numerous hits, grass stains to the same place.
I love being at practice. The boys push themselves, build their team mates, and prepare for success. At every practice Taron's team chants "I wanna be a champion, I wanna be a champion, I will be a champion." Who doesn't get pumped up listening to that? Is it possible to get pumped up and still get choaked up at the same time?
With two boys practicing at the same time across town, each week I alternate between practices. This week I am at Taron's. So far we are 3 and 0. You should have heard those coaches at practice today. I love it. They are excited while cautious. I am excited. They push for the next level of excellence.
Keaton continues to love football. With his size, this is the one place it is an asset. He works hard. His team is now 2 and 1....tough loss this last Saturday.
What is it about football? Win or lose....these boys are champions.
Can't help but throw in a pic of our littlest. Belle was playing with friends so I didn't get a snapshot of her....but she was off doing what she does best. Love my girls!!



Tara, Our girl is so beautiful...Her beauty is from her mom...
ReplyDelete