Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Raise A Man

Do you know what most other women my age are doing right now?
They are partying in clubs, trying to act stupid,
trying to get a man, trying to keep a man
trying to take someone else's man (inserted by me)
...not me.
I'm trying to RAISE a man.
Dorothy-Jerry Maguire

In my home are two incredible young men.  They are not perfect.  On occasion, they make me certifiably crazy.  Yet, these two boys give me hope.  They give me hope that my actions are good and maybe, just maybe, something I am doing is right.

Watching them love on their sisters.  Sing to Olaya.  Feed Olaya.  Read to Belle. Let Belle put little trinkets in their hair.  I could go on.  But the other day, their actions made me stop, thank my Heavenly Father for the opportunity to love them and go in my room shut the door and cry my eyes out.

Recently the boys had a babysitting job.  They love watching the daughter of our friends.  And I know they love getting that payment at the end.  For any kid, it seems the money is going to burn a whole in their pocket.  The next day while at Walmart they were running lists of all the things they could buy with their gains.  The only thins I said was to write a list once we got home and if they really felt one of those items deserved all their money, then we could go back the next day to buy it.  But mostly, to think about it overnight.

Sunday morning, I woke to my second eye infected with pink eye and not feeling the best.  With our present situation, the kids know money is tight....if non-existent.  But I try not to let them aware of bills or anything like that.  I had climbed back in bed when I could hear Taron and Keaton talking in hushed voices out in the hall.

Then it happened.  My boys entered my room, gave me their hard earned money and said they wanted me have it.  I told them it was theirs and that they didn't' need to take on these burdens.  Taron went over to my purse and put it in my wallet and just said they would feel better if I had it.

Taron and Keaton have a long way to go.....but they are men.  They are good men. 

By some standards I may not be able to "get or keep a man" but I can say I am raising two men.....of which brings me so much joy.

3 comments:

  1. And they will always be grateful their mother taught them to be MEN instead of boys, giving up selfish desires (being boys) for something much better (being men)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and touching story. You are raising some real treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet boys you have. They will grow into great men because of you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks.