One of my most favorite memories of my grandfather is from when I had flown out to San Antonio to see my family when Taron was little and I was pregnant with Keaton. I was married to Stephen but he had just changed jobs and didn't have vacation time so I flew out on my own.
My grandfather is a man of few words. But with him, sometimes words were not needed. As I prepared to depart his home and head for the airport, he came into the kitchen. Approaching me he extended his arms out, took my head in his hands tipping my head forward and kissed me on the forehead. It was a tender kiss. He held me there for just a moment and then looked me in the eye and nodded his head up and down. His love radiated through me. I didn't need gushy accolades of love. I knew.
That was many years ago and the feeling of his lips on my forehead and the look in his eyes still lingers.
My last memory of him is from when I flew to San Antonio to be with my grandmother before she passed away. With her last days counting down, PaPa stayed by her side making her every need his priority.
I don't recall a time these two were ever overly affectionate in my presence.
Yet, their love was always abundant.
Grandpa even played the Spurs game for Grandma during those last few days.
Over the last many years, Grandpa has been by Grandma's side caring for her every need and desire.
It has been a year and a half since she left.
Today he rejoined her.
Although I couldn't be there to say goodbye,
I can still feel his kiss on my forehead.
(My handsome PaPa)
(2007- My grandparents
Aren't they beautiful?)
2007-
Victor-my dad, Nora, Vera. Lila, Roger
Just before my grandmother passed,
I was able to spend some time with my grandpa
in her room. He held her hand. Although this hand didn't have his ring,
he put it on his pinkie so it could be in the picture.
Never had I seen a man so in love with his wife, then at that moment.
My heart is sad to let you go.
You didn't get to see your granddaughter that was named after your wife.
I know you were very happy to have Olaya carry grandma's name.
I wish the miles didn't keep me from you.
I wish I had more time, more memories, more knowledge of you.
But today I think of your reunion with Grandma.
I don't think you could get through this life any longer without her.
Thank you for loving me.
I love you PaPa.
Until we meet again.






No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments. Thanks.