Whenever asked, my response is that San Antonio is my home. This past week I have wondered if I felt that way be because of my love for the city itself or the love of the city is because of my love for two people that resided there.
Today in primary the lesson was given out of the Ensign. She showed a picture of the inside of the San Antonio Temple. Since its construction I have identified this as my favorite temple. With the passing of my grandfather this week, my heart lept as she mentioned San Antonio. It is my home. My heart rests there with those I love. While my grandparents are no longer there, this was their home and the place they loved.
With my children, I plan to return there as soon as possible. I will pass to them a love for San Antonio.
I saw on my sister's blog that my grandfather's obituary is posted. I have placed it here as well.
It is very easy to take those we love for granted. I just thought I would have one more visit to be with my grandpa. I am grateful for my upbringing in Idaho. This a wonderful place to raise a family. However, right now I am mourning all the moments I didn't get to have with my grandpa. I am jealous of my Contreras cousins and their closeness to my grandparents there. Yet, through the atonement of Christ, I know I will see him again. I am confident we will have time, all the time we desire to be together. I love you grandpa.
Magdaleno "Country" Contreras was born July 22, 1924 in Cementville, Texas. He went to be with our Lord on October 26, 2010 at the age of 86. He proudly served in the U.S. Army in WW II and later in the Korean Conflict, receiving the Purple Heart and Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Service Stars. He was retired from the United States Postal Service. He was preceded in death by his parents, Florentino Contreras and Maria Rodriguez Contreras, his beloved wife, Olga M. Contreras, and one brother, Abel Contreras. He is survived by his children, Roger Contreras and wife Lupe, Nora Martinez, Victor Contreras and wife Barbara of Chubbuck, Idaho, Odilia Hernandez and Elvira Pizano; 20 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren; numerous nieces and nephews. Visitation will be at Sunset Northwest Funeral home on Bandera Road on Monday, November 1, 2010 from 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. with a rosary at 7:00 P.M. The funeral procession will depart the funeral home on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 9:30 A.M. for a 10:00 A.M. mass at St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church, 1710 Clower Street with interment to follow at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery with Army Military Honors. Please visit www.sunsetnwchapel.com

The temple there is my favorite as well. SOO beautiful inside, a water fall greets you right when you walk in. Such a peaceful sound and sight.
ReplyDeleteDont you love that pic of Grandpa when he was young? Such a looker...just like Dad.