Saturday, February 7, 2009

Nearer to the Lord . . .

"We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -- President J. Reuben Clark Jr., in Conference Report, Oct. 1936, 111

As we continually try to draw closer to our Heavenly Father as a family, I reflect on the role music has in our home. I have always been a great lover of music. I believe it can help me clean the house faster, lift me from my sadness, comfort me in grief, and calm a troubled heart.

There was a time when the darkness of sadness and grief weighed upon me. Satan knew this. At night, when I would go to bed, I could feel the darkness trying to consume me. The only solace came from the singing of hymns.
Master the Tempest is raging.
The billows are tossing high.
The sky is over shadowed with blackness.
No shelter nor help is nigh.
Carest thou not that we perish?
How canst thou lie asleep
When each moment so madly is threatening
A grave in the angry deep?
The winds and waves obey they will,
PEACE BE STILL
Whether the wrath or the storm tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No waters can swallow the ship where lies
The master of Ocean and earth and skies.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will,
PEACE BE STILL, PEACE BE STILL
They all shall sweetly obey thy will,
PEACE PEACE BE STILL
Peace be still. Peace be still. I repeated those words over and over. Peace came. I was able to sleep. Eventually the sadness lifted and I fell away from my nightly ritual. I can't deny that I enjoy loud dance music. As I go to class I crank up Z103 and try to play something to motivate me. But recently I find myself realizing just how powerful Satan can be. Everywhere we turn, there is something trying to destroy our family unit and Satan knows our children are an easy target. As a Mother, I am trying to resist and deter his threats.

"It really matters what you listen to. . . . Select music that will strengthen your spirit."
-- Elder Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, Nov. 1985, 32

"Music has boundless powers for moving families toward greater spirituality and devotion to the gospel. Latter-day Saints should fill their homes with the sound of worthy music."
-- "First Presidency Preface," Hymns, 1985, x
Not only are the Hymns a great tool to use in our homes but there is good music out there. I would not be able to only listen to the hymns. I love the group Il Divo. They are European but sing in English, Latin and Spanish. Take a moment and listen to them sing Hallelujah. If you would like to hear it in English this is a great rendition. Please take a moment to visit these videos. I feel such power and strength from this music.
As the children and I baked a cake tonight, instead of the radio or my NOW cd's, we listed to music by Il Divo. We were far more peaceful and kinder in word and action to one another. (In addition, I am leaving the television off. I like to have sound around me most of the time and the tv has been an easy choice but then we stop talking to each other and become zombies.) As a side note, it is so much nicer to hear my daughter singing the words to Ave Maria than to Low, Low, Low.
It is my prayer that I continue to seek ways to draw my family closer to our Father in Heaven. There are many tools that lift and strengthen but they also weaken us if not used properly. I pray for patience and diligence in being a good mother to this precious family. As we draw closer to our Father in Heaven we will not fail. That is his promise.

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys. I love your new family blog. I look forward to seeing you again, Tara. Any chance you are going to make it to the reunion at the end of July? I love these pictures. Your boys are getting so grown up. And what a gorgeous new family you make. Can't wait to meet your sweetheart of a husband.

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks.