Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Game 6-0

Isn't it funny what makes us emotional. The kids grow so fast. Today was Taron's first game and as I was running through WinCo grabbing up bags of oranges, bagging salted bulk peanuts and looking at my watch, I started to get a little misty eyed.

The first half was tough. One player was lost to an injured knee. Every mothers fear. We send our little boys out there and pray they will be safe but fear we are sending them to a battle field.

I was lucky enough to listen in on half time comments from the coaches while I passed out snack. I am probably the only mother that cries while doing this. Of course he scolded them but he built them up. He encouraged them. Told them of their greatness. They are great. Coach told them each one has to hit his mark. Each one has to do his part for the team as a whole to be successful. Know your opponent. He said they should know the color of his eyes. I thought to do that, you have to look your opposer in the eye, head on and go for it. I hid my tears. Taron probably didn't want to know I was being emotional. In his final words, he asked the boys to win this game, to play this game for their team mate Kaden who will most likely not be able to return this season. With that they returned to the field.

The Pocatello 6th grade Buccaneers won their game today 6-0. They hit their mark and showed the other teams they do deserve to be in the A division. Today was about fighting when you are the underdog, realizing as a team you don't have to make excuses when you step on the field, and about honoring a friend with acts of greatness. We have a long way to go but this is a team and they had fun today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks.