Feel free not to read this posting. It is really me just rambling along as I contemplate our options.
Ultimately the point of being sealed is just that. Where we do it will become our temple. I know there are a few people that would like to share in the day with us, so picking a close temple would make sense. The closest temple to us is in Idaho Falls. My grandparents, parents and most of my aunts and uncles and cousins were all sealed there. However, I initially took out my endowments there and Betz was sealed there to his first wife. I was sealed in the Logan, UT temple. So we both feel we want our own temple.
Next is Rexburg or Twin Falls. Neither temple or location holds much meaning for us or will be a place we hope to visit again and again (if that makes sense). There is a beautiful temple in Vernal (where Betz works) but really....Vernal???
We are planning a trip to San Antonio soon but that would mean we would be there alone. I am sure my family would be waiting for us outside but those that live in San Antonio do not share our religious beliefs.
Betz has mentioned Salt Lake as an acceptable option because it is ....well the Salt Lake Temple. As a family, we were able to visit the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple before it was dedicated. Although we were separated before we got to the sealing room.....hmmmm....maybe that's it. As we toured, Keaton stopped me and needed to use the restroom. Betz and the other kids were already around the corner and did not see us stop until it was to late. Keaton and I tried to catch up before the sealing room but it was impossible the way you have to follow in line during the open house tour while trying to maintain some level of reverence as I frantically wanted to be with my family to visit the sealing room. We certainly didn't have that problem at the Draper temple.
I did love that temple. Maybe there was a reason we were not together in that room. Maybe I am being silly. But that is an option. Of course, I have always loved the Manti Temple. I have only seen it once in person but oh it was stunning. Literally took my breath away. Yet it is quite a drive if family and friends are to attend.
Which brings me to my next thought. Abete and I have had our bumpy roads with our little detours along the way before meeting each other. This journey we decided to take together (as difficult as it has been), has been just that...for us. While there are many people that have loved and supported us along the way, we have worked at this together. For both of us, a temple wedding did not lead to a temple marriage. We want more than anything, a temple marriage and that is only about us. Maybe having a sealing with just us might not be so bad. Then we can always come back and go through Idaho Falls with the ward, friends and family.
And then I come back to where I started.....the main point is to get the work done. Knowing me, the day our Bishop says we can do it.....we will probably call our loved ones and march straight to the nearest temple. I can not wait to kneel at the alter with my husband and our daughters and be sealed as a family. I only wish my/our boys could be in there with us.
OK, I am done rambling about this. But it sure is better for me to spend time worrying about which temple to be sealed in than if my husband will be deported or not.
Tara - How exciting for you. What a journey and what a wonderful desire. I am sharing my thoughts on the matter. The main thing is getting it done (of course), but I totally understand wanting to go somewhere meaningful. I still have regrets about choosing the nearby and most convenient temple, because I always dreamed of being married in the St. George Temple. My suggestion is to travel if needed and go to a significant and special temple that is calling your name. My parents will disagree, along with most family members :), but I hear you loud and clear.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the previous comment. Choose what is right for the two of you and YOUR little family. Make this day special. Make it about you. And celebrate with family if/when you can, even if that means later/another day.
ReplyDeleteMy vote goes with every one else that has posted; Do what is right for you. I still feel the same way that I did when I married Benji 12 years ago--while it was nice for our friends and family to show their support, the only person I REALLY cared about being there was Benji.
ReplyDeleteOK...didn't see Bountiful Temple mentioned in there!!!! What's the deal??? It's the best, right?!? (If you're not going to go to SL _ where Steven & I were sealed_ or Idaho Falls _ where I was sealed to my mom & dad _ but Bountiful would be good...we'd help! :)
ReplyDeletegood luck deciding!!! Love you!!