This evening...after an afternoon of a visit to the dog pound, library,thrift store (all with three extra children), grocery store and then home to make dinner....I took the kids to a free concert at ISU put on by students.
The idea is to expose all children, especially young children, to this form of artistic representation. There was opera singing, trumpet duets, bassoon and piano, flute and piano, male singers, dance with body as instrument and a saxophone duet to name a few. It lasted only an hour. All of my kids were entranced.
The best moment was when Taron leaned over to me during a soprano singing an opera piece and asked if I would bring them to more of these things. OH YES MY CHILD!!!! There really is something about music. I don't mean the kind we crank out on our ipods. Instruments playing together. Emotions stirred in your soul just from their sound. Feeling an Italian opera when you can't understand a word she is singing.
At the end of the show, the club advisor commented one of the goals of this event was to allow parents an opportunity to bring their children to a concert and not have to worry if their kids cried, needed to go out the bathroom or wanted to walk around a bit. Typically they don't allow children under the age of 8 or 12 (can't remember right now) to these things. All of the performances were short to keep kids attention. I thought it was wonderful!!
Thank you students at ISU in this club that had a really long name and I can't remember now. We had a wonderful evening. I think I know what my date will be with Taron coming up.
How neat!! I LOVE this kind of stuff! I wish they would have something like this around here. Maybe they do and I just don't know! I need to look into that! My parents exposed me to all kinds of stuff like this growing up and I LOVED it! My husband never was exposed so now it's fun to share some of those things with him. It's especially fun when I hear him tell me that he hates musicals or whatnot and then I drag him along and he ends up LOVING it as much as I do!
ReplyDeleteI think that is so awesome. I'm so glad that ISU is thinking about the little children now! It's not about the "hip" bands and the "hard rock" bands anymore. They are putting culture into these kids at a young age. What a wonderful thing!
ReplyDelete