“Because of My Transgression My Eyes Are Opened”
Sunday School Lesson
Again I was able to partake of a wonderful lesson in Sunday School today. As we discusses the transgression in the Garden of Eden we had interesting discussions regarding sin and knowledge. Sister Peterson then led us to a particular scripture that she wanted to bring even more "discussion".
Moses 4:22 " . . . and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."
First she asked the sisters to respond to what we felt about this scripture. Then she was going to let the men respond. The responses were good. However many felt they did not like the word rule. They tried substituting it for other words and even added words to the scripture. As I sat and pondered, a few thoughts came to my mind. I would have liked to share in class but for now I can only share here.
It would be easy to answer this question from a temporal standpoint. We live in a time where women are fighting, struggling and gaining equality in the home and in society. We want to be partners. We want our voices heard. We want to be valued. This is a fight I have joined. I am not ashamed to label myself a feminist.
However, I feel the answer comes from an eternal perspective. Isn't our goal here on earth to strive to live in a way that we can return to Heavenly Fathers kingdom. He is the "ruler". Would any of us debate or question if God ruled over us?
I can only speak from my life experience and this is gospel according to Tara. During the seven years I was single I did not have the blessing of priesthood in my home. The full responsibility of home and children rested on me. During this time (and maybe I was better at it at different times) I had to allow Heavenly Father to direct and lead me. I would have given anything ...truly anything....to have a worthy priesthood holder in my home that would "rule" over me. I didn't really have it when I was married either.
When I married Abete, one evening as I could hear him talking and playing with the kids in the living room, I was in the bathroom straightening things up. Nothing in particular was happening. Yet, I felt the physical lifting of the burden/responsibility from my shoulders. I will never forget that moment. This is the plan from our Heavenly Father. As a partnership, husbands and wives work together to return to our Father in Heaven. But as the Father leads us, that model is established in our homes as well. I am grateful to be "ruled" over. Truthfully, I don't want that responsibility. Let him have it. As a wife, mother and daughter of God, I have enough responsibilities in this life.
But my last thought is......husbands live worthy to rule. Please. Please live your life worthy of the responsibility you hold.
How do you feel when you read this scripture? How do you balance your spiritual feelings and earthly feelings?
I love your thoughts here. I echo them. My thoughts on the subject? Well, only one thought comes to mind for me really. I think of our Heavenly Father and our Heavenly Mother. He "rules" over her. Not in a 1950's-woman-kitchen-cook sort of way. He leads. He respects. He treats her with such reverence. I picture her sitting in heaven teaching her little spirit children. Preparing each of them lovingly for the trials they will face on this earth. The image I have in my mind of my Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother's relationship IS a partnership. And yet, He "rules". But that picture is exactly what I want for myself. It evokes feelings of peace, comfort, rightness. Just my thoughts.
ReplyDelete