I absolutely adore my tall, dark and handsome husband. Tonight I wanted make a meal for him like a good wife. He is away so many nights that when he is home, I really want to utilize my culinary skills. Alas, tonight one of my choices in food items did not tantalize my Fiji husband's palate.
Mushrooms??? Seriously?
During meal preparation the family likes to come in the kitchen and take bites and enjoy the aroma coming from the heart of our home. This is one of my favorite parts of cooking. They all come in saying, "Oh, that smells so good." And tonight was a great example of this.
UNTIL . . .
Our meal consisted of roast, potatoes and carrots slow cooked since 2:30 p.m., crescent rolls, green salad and then for good measure I started sauteing mushrooms. Taron and I love mushrooms. My husband comes in the kitchen and Taron asks him if he likes mushrooms.
He sort of cringed. But this kind man pauses and says he will try one. I wish I had a picture but just imagine my tall, dark, handsome husband popping a slice in his mouth, starting to chew and then losing all color in his face (which is hard considering how dark he is) and then walking swiftly to the garbage and spitting it out.
Can someone explain this to me? I have heard stories of the varieties of food eaten on the islands and have witnessed him eat fish heads. I love fish just as much as the next person but we have a great partnership when eating fish . . .the whole fish, not just a fillet . . .I eat the meat and give him my skin and he eats, well basically, the rest. Yet, he doesn't like mushrooms!!!???
So I ask him as I am laughing hysterically in the kitchen, "Is it the texture? Or what is it?" He responds with the description of seeing mushrooms growing out of cow dung. I give you that. They are a fungus.
Will this man ever cease to amaze me? I adore everything about him.
After explaining to me how he can't stomach mushrooms, he gets in the fridge and pulls out some taro, only making me laugh even harder at the irony of the conversation we are having.
I love you Abete! You make me smile. This journey will never be dull.
Mushrooms??? Seriously?During meal preparation the family likes to come in the kitchen and take bites and enjoy the aroma coming from the heart of our home. This is one of my favorite parts of cooking. They all come in saying, "Oh, that smells so good." And tonight was a great example of this.
UNTIL . . .
Our meal consisted of roast, potatoes and carrots slow cooked since 2:30 p.m., crescent rolls, green salad and then for good measure I started sauteing mushrooms. Taron and I love mushrooms. My husband comes in the kitchen and Taron asks him if he likes mushrooms.
He sort of cringed. But this kind man pauses and says he will try one. I wish I had a picture but just imagine my tall, dark, handsome husband popping a slice in his mouth, starting to chew and then losing all color in his face (which is hard considering how dark he is) and then walking swiftly to the garbage and spitting it out.
Can someone explain this to me? I have heard stories of the varieties of food eaten on the islands and have witnessed him eat fish heads. I love fish just as much as the next person but we have a great partnership when eating fish . . .the whole fish, not just a fillet . . .I eat the meat and give him my skin and he eats, well basically, the rest. Yet, he doesn't like mushrooms!!!???
So I ask him as I am laughing hysterically in the kitchen, "Is it the texture? Or what is it?" He responds with the description of seeing mushrooms growing out of cow dung. I give you that. They are a fungus.
Will this man ever cease to amaze me? I adore everything about him.
After explaining to me how he can't stomach mushrooms, he gets in the fridge and pulls out some taro, only making me laugh even harder at the irony of the conversation we are having.
I love you Abete! You make me smile. This journey will never be dull.
I am with you husband I hate mushrooms, I can not stand the taste of them or the texter
ReplyDelete