This weekend we decided to meet Betz in Salt Lake so that we could take advantage of the open house of the Draper LDS Temple. The kids and I left Pocatello around 3 and Betz left Vernal at about the same time. Not everything went as planned but I think this is the lesson of life, isn't it? The plan was to get down early and allow the kids time to swim in the hotel pool while I read for school (we both get to do a favorite activity in presence of the other). However, in an attempt to save money, I booked a room on priceline for an awesome $40 at a great downtown hotel. The problem is they have an outdoor pool. The kids were not happy but what could I do. Next we decided to go to a movie. By the time I found one it was 6:40 p.m. and the only movie we felt we could take all the family too was starting at 7. Cancel that plan. Then the biggest tragedy hit...I realized I forgot my entire makeup bag at home. This was enough to bring me to tears. My sweet husband told me it was ok, he loves the way I look with out all that stuff. But I wasn't having it. New plan . . . find Chinese buffet and then a Wal-mart for all new makeup. By the time we got back to the room it was even to late to order an in room movie ( Keaton was again upset). We settled for George Lopez reruns. Is there any better way to spend a late night?
(Now is when things get personal, proceed at your own risk.)
We went to this event knowing we did not have tickets. It is the church, they won't turn anyone way. We arrived at an LDS chapel near the temple and the gentleman asked if we had a ticket and said no. I started to get nervous. We came all this way. I have been excited for weeks with the idea of entering the house of the Lord with my husband and the children. Just as I thought my dreams were to be crushed, he gave us a map and directed us to the Yellow parking lot and reassured us we would be able to enter. As we drive away from the Temple, I can't describe the conflicting feelings I was having. One we were headed to a place farther away but that would get us back to the Temple, and two I was told I could not proceed from this point directly to the Temple. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone. But it felt like I was so close but so far away, not unlike my real life desire to go to the Temple. We found the Yellow parking lot and were ushered into the chapel to watch a movie about the Draper Temple and then we proceeded to the shuttle.
If I can take a moment and say how impressed I was with the order and efficiency that we were witness to. Lines moved along continually. Any time spent waiting was filled with movies, missionaries and transporting from one place to another. I was reminded we belong to a church of order and that was exemplified to me today. We arrived at the parking lot at 11:15, the temple by noon and the tour took over an hour, followed by time in the adjacent chapel building for cookies and talk with missionaries. I can't even begin to imagine how many people went through the Temple today, let alone during the entire open house time period.
Once inside the temple, the tour was silent and self guided, which does not mean you wonder around on your own. It only means you follow the person in front of you and at the conclusion you meet in one of the sealing rooms for final words. What an amazing experience to be in the Celestial room with my children and husband. Even though the building has not been dedicated, the Spirit in the building is strong. I took a moment to talk to Taron and Keaton individually while in this room. Taron told me he felt a warm kindness and I could see he truly was touched. Then as we sat in the Sealing room . . . these rooms are aesthetically stunning beyond description. I sat next to my husband and he held my hand. We looked into the mirrors and he told me one day we will be in here again but to have our sealing performed.
Abete is a wonderful husband and partner. I am blessed to have his strong guidance in my home and as a leader to me. We have set our goals and he does not fail in showing he is determined to reach those goals no matter the difficulty it will be to attain them. As we held our family in the Sealing room I received confirmation we will one day be in a room similar to this one again. Abete and I will kneel across the alter to be sealed to each other and then be able to have Isabella sealed to us and then one day Kiti and Meliah.
I am thankful for the promise of an eternal family and the opportunity we had today to go as a family and tour the house of the Lord. I am grateful for my Elder Brother who made it possible for me to repent and grow closer unto my Heavenly Father. I am grateful for my beautiful and ever so colorful family. We are quite a mixture of ethnicity and culture but as a good friend reminded us, we have the Gospel in common. We do not need for anything else to draw us together.
If anyone has the chance, ticket or not-they provide a parking lot just for people without tickets, please, please, take the time and go to the open house. It is an experience our family will not soon forget.

I'm so glad you got to go!! When we went to the temple open house in Manhattan it seemed like every thing that could go wrong, would go wrong, and yet I still had a great time taking my kids through the temple. I'm so glad it all worked out.
ReplyDeleteTara- Our boys talk a lot about going to the temple in Twin, which they loved. I am glad you got to take your family- I am sure they won't forget that experience. Didn't you forget your make-up once before? lol Love ya-Maria
ReplyDeleteYes I have forgot my make-up bag before. In fact is was the last time I went out of town to Utah. Betz says I need to have a travel make up bag always in my travel bag.
ReplyDeleteTara - What a gorgeous family. I am happy you got to go here. My kids loved seeing the Twin Temple. Any chance I will get to see you this summer at the reunion?
ReplyDelete