Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Even with the extra long weekend, it went by way to fast. Abete and I got to experience a clogged toilet that took two trips to Lowe's but in the end it was a borrowed plunger from my parents that did the trick late Monday evening. Abete also got to put together the kids new trampoline while I slept in. WHAT A MAN!!! He has really been thrown into the family life and does it so well. In fact while I leisurely made breakfast and then showered Monday morning, he cleared a path in the garage and then went to my brothers and loaded and unloaded some couches. I can't say enough how grateful I am for him.

The rest of Monday was spent traveling the back roads with my parents and some of my siblings visiting grandparents that have gone before us and a little trip down memory lane.
When I was four years old, we lived in this cabin out passed American Falls. It is fun to drive out there on our way to Aberdeen.
Our first stop was to the resting place of my mother's grandmother, Lucille. I don't really know much about her except I sense the respect and adoration in my mother's voice when she mentions her. In addition, I believe her legacy is the wonderful son she raised who grew to become my grandfather.
My beautiful (ageless) mother is always fun to take road trips with. As we traveled I heard stories of going to the dairy to get milk, getting hamburgers at a place in Aberdeen that is now a bank and pointing out the road to turn on to go to Lucille's.





From there we drove the back roads to Blackfoot and then on to Idaho Falls to see Bob and Vera Wallace, my grandparents.
I am humbled and blessed to belong to the posterity of this couple. They were not perfect but they were perfect for each other. If I can have even a portion of their joy and success in life, I will be truly blessed.


This pic was just a simple self portrait that was embellished with the help of picnik. This sight is free to use and yields a myriad of fun results. I can't wait to ditch time on MyFarm (facebook) to play around here.
Again my mom with her parents.


Spending time at the cemetery can seem morbid, but really it was a wonderful time to share memories with the kids of my grandparents and I saw myself becoming my mother in the way she shares memories of her grandparents with me.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic! Pretty fun program isnt it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pictures! It looks like you had such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks.