Tuesday, November 3, 2009

This Morning . . .

I went to have breakfast with the kids at school....egg and cheese on whole wheat bun.....favorite breakfast day. I have been wanting to go all school year but never did make it. The kids convinced me that moms always come in their pajamas so if I put sweats on it would be OK.

It really is a great experience. The kids like to show me off and it is great to see them with their friends. One sweet girl in particular joined us for breakfast. Let me explain this young woman. Although dressed modestly, her high heals and clothing choice made her look much older than I would have guessed. Immediately upon sitting with us she started talking about the expense of getting her nails done. And yes, they were beautiful hot pink tipped acrylic nails. As we spoke she boldly put out her hand for me to shake as she introduced herself. I was a little surprised with her maturity and then more surprised when she said, "Oh, sorry, I forgot to take my pill this morning." I almost shot milk out my nose. Within a few minutes she told me she didn't like the breakfast attendant because she told her that her make-up was to heavy. Again I almost snorted milk. I PRETENDED to be in shock. Picture this....silvery blue frosted eyeshadow almost to her hairline with a dark frost color in the crease of her eyelid....good technique-wrong age and color and quantity. Then her lips were layered in so much pink gloss you could probably scratch your name in it with your fingernail. She really was precious.

Now imagine me sitting across from her with bed hair, no make-up, no fake nails, my sweats and a black t-shirt. Since when do 6th graders spend more time primping than I do??? And what pill exactly did she forget to take this morning??

1 comment:

  1. That's funny!! I'm curious as to what your boys think of this girl. Do they think it is over the top, or is this an ordinary occurance in 6th grade? And, who pays for her nails!! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks.