Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is This Heaven?

Last week my mom took her camp trailer up to Island Park and planned to stay for 10 days.  I admire her love of the outdoors.  Camping isn't the easiest of vacations but she does it on her own. With not much on our agenda, the kids and I decided to join my mom for the week.  Pretty soon football will be starting and our evenings will be busy with practice so I figured this would probably be our last chance for a family (minus Tata) vacation.

Suburban loaded with three new birthday bikes (two of them a month early) and far to many clothes for me and Olaya, we headed up early Monday morning.  During the two hour drive as each mile added to my odometer, I felt the pressure of life lifting.  Once I hit Ashton, I felt as if on a cloud, weightless.  My breathe even felt deeper and easier.  I knew all to well those troubles would be right there waiting for me on my descend from the mountains back to the valley. 

Yes, room service and roller coasters are desirable.  Yet there is something about going to the mountains (as our camp neighbors described) that just makes me feel good.  It could also be that it is here I feel my grandpa very close.  He loved camping, fishing and being with family.  He did that in Island Park.

I want my mom to know of my admiration and gratitude for all her hard work to provide lasting memories to her family.  My dad and my sister Sharen and her baby Jaxon came up for one night.  The short time with them was fabulous.  Through out the week as I heard my mom talk to each of my siblings she would plead with them to come up.  Repeatedly she would tell them to just get in the car and not to worry about bringing anything.  Although I did try to help out financially with my time in camp with her, I know she would not have expected me to pay because she just wants her family with her. 

Thank you Mom for giving my family a vacation and sharing your time and energy with us (not to mention letting Olaya and I take up residence in the bedroom while you slept on the table bed).  We made great memories (laughing at our lack of speaking clearly when yelling at kids and the critical raft puncture that almost ended our river float trip, sleeping until 10 and watching movies until 1 in the morning) that will be passed on for years to come.  I will cherish this week we shared.  I am sure my kids will never forget it.  I love you!!!  Thanks for loving me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks.