Monday, April 27, 2009

What are your five most valued possessions???

  1. wedding ring (not really the ring but what is symbolizes)
  2. grandmother's wedding ring (really not much monetary value)
  3. family photo's (not worth anything-but I can spend hours looking at them)
  4. hmmmmm
  5. do I have to pick five

In Sunday school Sister Ward started class by asking us to each list five of our most valued possessions. This was hard for me. I sat there and pondered. Really all I could think about was the wonderful man sitting next to me and our three beautiful children. Possessions??? What do I have that I couldn't live without? Nothing. But take away my family and well....what is the point of living?

In my life I have experienced walking away from "stuff" a few times. Even now I don't have much as far as worldly possessions and I know what I do have could be taken away in a blink of an eye. Our lesson was about the Law of Consecration but it left me wondering what could I give up. What is truly of worth to me? Is it bad that I am not emotionally attached to my stuff? I like my new flat screen TV, but really I am happy without TV all together. I am fond of my lawn mower cause I purchased it all on my own and I love tending to the outdoor chores (although now I am learning to save that work for my man cause he wants to do it). I was really attached to my not built in dishwasher that has been great to have when living in rentals that don't have one. I loved having a new, purchased in cash on my own dishwasher. But now my landlord replaced the kitchen faucet and I can't use it. Giveth and taketh away. I love my suburban but it is starting to have minor things happen and I really want a car that gets better gas mileage and a smaller payment...or no payment at all. We would love to own our own home but aren't sure where we are going to be in 6-12 months from now so I am very happy with renting my duplex even though the carpet is old, cupboards are outdated and the linoleum needs replaced. The rent is extremely low and I love our ward and the kids school. We would like a dog but have to settle for Squirtle the water turtle. Ultimately, the only thing I want is my husband with me everyday and our home filled with the laughter of our children (and I would even take their messes and frequent squabbles).

After being on my own for over five years, having another decision maker in the house is uncomfortable for me. I countdown until my hubby will be home but then by the time he leaves I think I can cook when and what I want and stay in my jammies all day if I want. But the reality is I would love to have him with me everyday. I love having his patient spirit in my home and his testimony as an example to our children. And it really is fun to have cuddle time together. I actually do miss having him wake me when he tries to get closer to me when we sleep even though I say I like to be in my corner and he in his.

So what is my most valued possession? My family. I want to do everything I can to have my family close to me. I hope and pray it never happens but I could walk away from all the worldly possessions if it meant being able to keep what is important to me. (Again, I pray I am never asked to be in that situation.) (No really, just want to be clear.....)

1 comment:

  1. It is true. Benji and I have been struggling students for so long that the things that we prize the most are those that money can't buy: testimony, relationships, health, peace of mind and music.
    But don't get me wrong---I also love dental floss and sunglasses. And a good running shoe and comfortable bra. A pair of pants or shorts that fits me well and doesn't make my rear end look like enormous. (They are so hard to come by.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks.